Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Talking about a Bee

Yesterday was another beautiful sunny day in Brussels! We've been having them now for more than a week, and .you can feel it in how everyone seems in such an uplifted mood lately, it's the vitamin D boost in the blood!

So I opened windows all around the house to let in some warm, fresh air in, and as I wanted to close the one in our bedroom I heard a familiar sound of frantic buzzing. A bee had gotten in and was desperately trying to get through the glass pane. I noticed it was a bee (meaning equipped with an obvious stinger) and not one of those round fuzzy cuddly, rounded butt-types (read bumblebee). So: VORSICHT! my primeval survival instincts told me.

I carefully tried to direct it (while holding on to the end of a curtain) five-centimeters to the right, the opening of the next window. It stubbornly insisted on flying to the left! Nope, wrong direction bee. It finally got caught onto the curtain and I could wave it out through the open window.

What makes me write about this little bee, who was at the end of its tether, desperate and afraid? It was constantly banging through the transparent glass, when just some inches away was a large open window! It was about to die of exhaustion not knowing freedom was just a few wing-flutters away. It couldn't see past it's fuzzy antennas!

It made me think about human beeings, how similar we are to trapped bees, enclosed in our cocoon of worries, and sometimes desperation, not seeing the whole picture, stubbornly insisting on our point of view. Arguing in circles with each other, communicating from different angles, but not seeing past one's own nose.

The ever-elusive concept of happiness, is a reality that exists in each moment. We need to step back, turn off the ego, and pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment